Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

4cm mass on spleen. Doing ultrasound on Thursday. Dog is a

Customer Question

4cm mass on spleen. Doing ultrasound on Thursday. Dog is a German Shepherd Lab Cross . Appears to have low thyroid ( getting a thyroid equilibrium test on Thursday) and one mildly elevated liver level though I do not know which. Is a splenectomy the only way to go?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Piroo and he is 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Piero?
Customer: No he eats well. Has arthritis at the base of his tail so is slower and a little less active at times and he has numerous fatty masses (lipomas). All are benign. Has had them for many years
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

...for confirmation of the type of mass, yes, splenectomy is needed. Vets are reluctant to perform ultrasound-guided needle biopsies on spleens due to the significant risk of uncontrolled bleeding. Splenectomy would be contraindicated, however, if the ultrasound revealed that the mass had already metastasized. Be sure that thoracic X-rays are performed as well. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I have to leave my computer for a few hours but promise to reply as soon as I return if need be.