Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dogs coughing and and a real geezer throat. Drool IMG a

Customer Question

My dogs coughing and and a real geezer throat. Drool IMG a lot
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nipper he's 4
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Nipper
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nipper?
Customer: Nope he's usually healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do you mean the cough is harsh?

How long has he had these signs?

Any changes to his breathing or gum color (ie paler then usual, white)? Any sores in his mouth?

Any chance he has ingested something that could irritate his throat?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
His coughing is rough doesn't seem to close his mouth fully always full of drool his eating wet dog food but struggles with his hard biscuits what he usually as
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

How long has he had all those signs?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just the last few days had a weeping eye last week that's clear up he's noisy when her breathes
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

Based on his signs, we do have a few concerns. Now harsh, dry, throat based cough that is causing him trouble with hard foods would raise concerns of a possible tracheitis, esophagitis (if he ate something that has irritated his throat), or a possible exposure to kennel cough. With all this in mind, considering Nipper's age and history, the last concern would be our top suspicion here.

With that in mind, we'd want to approach this situation by trying to reduce that could for Nipper. Of course, we need to watch his breathing and have him seen if that worsens or his cough doesn't settle with supportive care (since we may need antibiotics +/- dog safe anti-inflammatories from his vet).Still, at this stage, we can start him on a soft diet for the next few days to avoid any further irritation. As well, you can sooth his throat by giving him a tablespoon of honey+glycerin cough syrup or even plain honey. Alternatively you can give Benylin Tickly Cough syrup to him. Do be aware that its this one specifically we can use in dogs so take care not to use one with cold medication added to it. It will take some label reading, but do avoid any syrups with cold medications in (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen or any human cold medications since many are toxic for dogs), you just want one to lubricate and soothe the throat.

Overall, coughing as you are seeing can be a sign of a range of issues. Still as long as he is otherwise normal, the above would be our main concerns here. Therefore, I would just advise to try and reduce the cough just now. Though if this persists despite our supportive care, we’d want to consider a check up with your vet to confirm our suspicions and potentially have them dispense an antibiotic +/- dog safe anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, etc) to help him clear this.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thankyou
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He a lot still bit groggy throat eating better
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the update,

I am glad to hear that his signs are reducing and he is eating better for you.

Keep up the good work,

Dr. B.

**Please remember to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost). Thank you!:)