Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

Since yesterday my guinea pig has a R eye that is very

Customer Question

Since yesterday my guinea pig has a R eye that is very swollen and looks " popped out" a little and the eye itself looks cloudy like someone who has glaucoma. Otherwise she is acting normal, eating and drinking. She is about 5 years old. Ugh
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the guinea pig's name?
Customer: Don't laugh.... Guinea
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Guinea?
Customer: sje
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: She's always been large, the size of a bunny
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising guinea pigs and rabbits. Incidentally, my neighbor has a dog named Dog, so you're not alone. I'm sorry to hear of Guinea's problem.

There are several conditions that can cause an eye to protrude like this. One of the most common is a dental problem. If a tooth is abscessed or growing abnormally into the area behind the eye, the eye can protrude. Abscesses or tumors in the nasal cavity or behind the eye can also cause this to happen. All of these conditions must be treated by a vet. You can read more about guinea pig eye problems at this site:

http://www.guinealynx.com/eyes.html

The cloudiness may be related to whatever caused the eye to protrude because of increased pressure in the eye (similar to glaucoma as you suspect). Or, Guinea may have a cataract in that eye.

Regardless of exactly what has happened, I'm afraid there is no home treatment. I recommend seeing a vet. This link will take you to a directory of guinea pig vets:

http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html

In the meantime, keep the lights low in Guinea's room because bright light can be painful to an eye in this condition. If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope Guinea will be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just checking to see your your guinea pig is doing. I hope you were able to get help, and the situation is improving.

Anna