Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

Our Guinea pig won't eat or stand she hasn't eaten since

Customer Question

Our Guinea pig won't eat or stand she hasn't eaten since yesterday
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the guinea pig will be able to digest that. What is the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she was given to us two years ago, not sure on her age
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Winnie?
Customer: Her nose seems to be runny
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.

Is Winnie drinking?

Is she passing stool and urine?

Do you give any supplements?

Is she lethargic?

What type of bedding do you use?

What is her diet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is not eating or drinking. She has not passed anything since being out of her cage for the last hour - which is not her norm. We don't typically do supplements. She gets Guinea food & hay daily plus a fresh veggie or apple. We use pine bedding.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she is lethargic she won't stand up fully and is only laying down
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

Please remove Pine Bedding it is toxic to Rodents and should not be used. It can cause all types of issues Pine and Cedar are toxic. The best bedding is the recycled paper bedding called Yesterdays News.

She should be getting a Vitamin C supplement daily to prevent Scurvy, as this is very important.

She will need to be seen by a small animal/Exotic Vet with this issue, but we can offer some first aid until you can get her in.

Please get some Pedialyte and mix with water and syringe feed her a few CC's at a time. This is for hydration. This is very important since we do not want her dehydrated. For food, you can grind her pellets into a fine powder and mis with the Pedialyte and water to make a slurry and again fed with a syringe. This will help until she can be seen. If you can get to the Pet shop, the Have Critical Care which is a supplemental feeding mixture. Since we do not know why she is off food and fluids, we have to maintain her until you can get her into the Vet.