Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My cockatiel is constipated. Dhould I try giving mixture of

Customer Question

My cockatiel is constipated. Dhould I try giving mixture of salt, sugar and water?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cockatiel's name and age?
Customer: Forrest 11
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Forrest?
Customer: He has been having some fluid in his right eye and vet is having me go back in to get teased for yeast infection. But then since last night at about 11 PM he hasn't pooped but he keeps trying to
JA: There are all sorts of infestations Forrest can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regard to your question, we don't want to be giving a mixture like that as you would run the risk of disturbing his electrolyte balance causing more harm then good. The only fluid support of that nature we'd want to use is specifically bird balanced electrolyte solutions (ie Vit-al) or possible a small volume of Pedialyte. So, those would be safer options for hydration.

Otherwise, if he is straining to pass stool, we need to really be careful here. This can be due to constipation but we can see this with gut blockage from foreign bodies, worm burdens, and even due to gut compression from tumors or growths. So, we need to tread with care.

At the moment, you could try giving a small dose of over the counter cat hairball treatment or feed a small dose of a GI lubricant (ie Miralax, Lactulose) mixed into veggie baby food. Either will lubricate the gut and help fecal passage. As well, fiber rich foods (ie canned pumpkin, all bran, brown rice, etc) can also help restore regularity for birds.

Overall, we need to be very careful with Forrest here. You can try the above to keep him hydrated and ease his fecal pasage. But if this continues and he keeps straining, we'd need him seen urgently so his vet can check for those other worries and give an enema if need be.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )