Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian
94503255

My 3 year old Yorkie-Havanese started having diarrhea last

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: My 3 year old Yorkie-Havanese started having diarrhea last night around 3am the first accident was liquid/mucus and a dark brown almost black. Since then she has had a few more accidents the stool has changed color clear/light brown/yellow-greenish. She has her normal energy.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Yorkie Havanese dog
JA: OK. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Penny
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Penny?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks I do have pictures of her stool to better assist
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Stool 2
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Stool 3
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Stool 4
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Stool 5

I am sorry to hear Penny has been having this issue with diarrhea. There are several possible causes of diarrhea in dogs, some of which are more common, and several which are far less common. The more common causes include a transient GI disturbance due to something she ingested, and intestinal parasites such as worms or giardia. Much less common causes include (but not limited to) pancreatitis, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, inflammatory bowel disease, food intolerance or allergy, and pancreatic insufficiency. Typically, we start with ruling out the more common causes first. This would entail bringing her in for a physical examination, and bringing in a fresh stool sample that can be submitted for microscopic analysis. Unfortunately, we can not tell if a parasite is present without looking at it on the microscopic level- but I will take a look at the pictures after I finish typing my response.

Since she is acting normal in every other way (good appetite and energy, no vomiting), you can try a bland diet in the meantime to see if this helps resolve the problem. For this you can use plain white rice and plain white chicken breast mixed with a little non fat plain yogurt or cottage cheese. If the stool does not return to normal within 24-48 hours after starting the bland diet, or if she develops any additional symptoms as mentioned above, she will need to be seen. Has this helped?

I have looked at the photos you uploaded, and the stools appear to be very mucousy and some tinged with blood. Unfortunately- this does not help with diagnosis as all of the conditions I mentioned can look like this. I would certainly submit a sample for testing for parasites. Your veterinarian will likely also prescribe an antibiotic for the diarrhea. generally, most cases of diarrhea like this generally resolve within a few days of starting treatment, in my experience. If this is not the case, your veterinarian may want to pursue additional tests to get to the bottom of what is causing Penny's diarrhea.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen. Thank you!

Please don't forget to provide a rating, thank you!