Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

Just noticed spot of blood in hamster's potty. She seems to

Customer Question

Just noticed spot of blood in hamster's potty. She seems to be bright enough other than this. Would a drop if cranberry juice help?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: Bubbles and she's about 2 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bubbles?
Customer: Not really she is fine otherwise.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.

Was the spot you have seen brownish, orange or bright red?

Was what you had seen in Urine?

What type of bedding do you use?

What type of food do you feed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the spot looks red and i noticed it when cleaning out the hamster potty. I have always used fluffy bedding and wood shavings in the cage and has been ok until now. She is fed hamster muesili with some normal hamster treats also fresh apple or kiwi fruit on occassion.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She seems to be just the same as usual.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no more to say.
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

I have an emergency I have to go on, with have an answer for you as soon as I get back.

Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

There are a couple of possibilities going on. Hamsters can get UTI's but since she is an older female we also have concerns that this could be a Pyometra, which is a Uterine infection. In a case like this it is best to have the hamster seen by an Exotic/Small Animal Vet. In the interim, I would change the bedding to carefresh bedding, which is a recycled paper bedding. The wood beddings like cedar and Pine are toxic to small rodents and the fiber beddings can cause an intestinal blockage.

As far as treating the hamster for a UTI, you can try some pure cranberry juice diluted about 1cc. The Vitamin C in the juice makes if inhospitable for bacteria to thrive. She may still need an antibiotic. At two years old she is a senior citizen, since life span is 2-2 1/2 years.