Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

Just noticed spot of blood in hamster's potty. She seems to

Customer Question

Just noticed spot of blood in hamster's potty. She seems to be bright enough other than this. Would a drop if cranberry juice help?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: Bubbles and she's about 2 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bubbles?
Customer: Not really she is fine otherwise.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in small animal health. I'm sorry to hear that Bubbles is having a problem.

First of all, there's no reason you can't give your hamster a little cranberry juice. However, there are other causes for blood in the urine besides a urinary tract infection (UTI). A urinary tract infection often accompanies bladder stones, especially in an older hamster like Bubbles. If she does have stones, an antibiotic will clear up the accompanying infection, but the stones will remain. In that case, the hamster would continue to urinate blood and feel pain when he pees. X-rays would probably detect any stones, but removing them is not easy in a hamster.

The other concern is that there is a fungal infection, aspergillis, that causes blood in the urine. But, it often has other symptoms, too, such as breathing problems and diarrhea. The fungus grows on urine as a black residue. If you don't allow wet litter to remain in the cage, this fungus is unlikely, but if it is present, it will only respond to antifungal medication. There's more information on this site:

Because your hamster doesn't have the other symptoms, I'm more concerned that she may have stones than aspergillis.

The other possibility is that this blood was a one time thing. You may choose to have a vet examine her, or you can try the cranberry juice and keep an eye on her. If she cries when she urinates, strains to urinate, passes more blood, or become lethargic or stops eating, then it would certianly be best to take her to your vet.

If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope Bubbles will be fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 4 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking to see how your hamster is doing. Has there been more blood? I'm hoping not.