Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

How do you know when to but a dog down?

Customer Question

How do you know when to but a dog down?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you today.

I am sorry to hear that your lad is poorly.

In regards ***** ***** question, the key to knowing what we should do does depend on two factors. One is whether we can cure the diarrhea situation that will be making him feel unwell. The other is how he is interacting in the world. And I would say that his feelings are the most important of these two factors.

In fact, appreciating life is key, because if he having more bad days then good days, then it is a sign it is time. If he cannot do those things that you know he loved to do in his earlier years (ie snuggling, eating, playing, etc), then it tells us that now is the time. And unlike people in these cases, we can provide the mercy of letting them go peacefully, so when he says 'I've had enough', then you know that you can let him go and keep him from any suffering.
So, I know it is not easy to make this decision (and it never gets any easier for any of us). Still, we'd want to speak to his vet about curing this bloody diarrhea. If they feel a fecal test would let them identify the cause and they feel it is treatable; then it may be worth persisting. But if they aren't sure or feel this is a terminal condition, then we need to look at him. And if Courage is feeling poorly with this, then it is time for us to let him go peacefully.

Please take care, my thoughts are with you,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )