Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 3 year old female guinea pig just had a wellness spay

Customer Question

my 3 year old female guinea pig just had a wellness spay last tuesday. i picked her up from the vet wednesday, she seemed fine at first. but by now she is not using her left hind leg at all. if she moves, she only uses the other four legs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: there is no injury on the foot visible.
JA: What is the guinea pig's name?
Customer: louise
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Louise?
Customer: i had to go back to the vet yesterday because louise also developed an enlarged lymph node under her right arm. the vet thought it was a possible infection caused by the injection of fluids they gave her during the surgery. antibiotics where prescribed.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is she holding the leg up or dragging it?

Can she move it voluntarily?

Did they send home any pain relief?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if she sits still, which she mainly does now, she sometimes lifts up that leg.
when she tries to move, she drags that leg behind.
it seems that she can move the leg a little bit, but the lower part the hand part seems not to move at all.
the vet prescribed meloxicam for the pain chloramphenicol palm 50mg/ml as an antibiotic.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

How many hours ago did she have the Meloxicam?

What dose and what is her weight?

How does the incision look? Any swelling,discharge, redness?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she gets the meloxicam twice a day (every 12 hrs / 8am and 8pm, .25cc each time total .5cc per day)
when they weight her yesterday she was about 1170 grams.
the incision looks nice, clean, dry and seems to be healing already. no swelling on incision (only under right arm / vet thought it to be a swollen lymph node because she was giving a fluid injection in between the shoulder blades at the time of surgery and this may have caused an infection) no redness on incision, no discharge.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say I am quite concerned about your lass. Its good that she can hold it up when she chooses, since that makes dislocations or nerve/spine damage less likely. Since her back leg lameness despite being on a very good dose of Meloxicam raises concerns that either the leg was overextended at the time of the operation and thus severely strained and/or that her pain is more severe then the Meloxicam Therefore, you do sound to be on the right treatment track for both the lump and her leg; but if she isn't improving at all and isn't keen to walk/move then we'd really want to ring her vet once they are open about potentially increasing her current dose or having her put onto a secondary stronger pain relief option.

Overall, I am glad that we can rule out those above issues as well as the incision being involved. But with her still showing signs of discomfort despite this, we'd really be worried of severe discomfort and need to see if her vet can use further pain relief to get this settled for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i am reading on the internet, that sudden leg paralyzes can be caused by a vitamin c deficiency. and since she has been mainly on crital care hand feeding, and not really on her regular diet, do you think this could be a possibility?
also on some forums calcium deficiency was mentioned as a possible cause for this. what are your thoughts on this?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

If she can lift the leg at times, this rules out paralysis. Paralysis would prevent any voluntary movement. Otherwise, low calcium will tend to cause overall generalized weakness and tremors, so that doesn't fit either. That all said, you can certainly give Vitamin C as it will do no harm here but again its not likely at the root of this for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.