Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

We recently bought a new fish tank goldfish. Since we

Customer Question

We recently bought a new fish tank for our goldfish. Since we transferred her into the new tank, she has brown on the edge of her fins & tail, plus all over her body.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the fish tank's name and age?
Customer: It's a petco Livingston for freshwater fish, 6.6 gallons.
JA: What is the fish tank's name?
Customer: Petco Essentials Livingston Aquarium
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Petro?
Customer: We cleaned it out with a little dish soap and water before we filled it with clean water.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and Fish keeper for over 40 years.

Have you checked the water parameters?

What type of test kit are you using?

What is the ammonia, Nitirites, Nitrates and Ph?

How did you treat the water?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We have not checked any of the water parameters and do not have a test kit. I will see if my local pet store has a kit. Can you tell us what the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and Ph level or number should be for a goldfish?
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

The Pet shop sold you too small a tank to start with ofr a gold fish. They require 15-20 gallons per gold fish. What you are describing is Ammonia and Nitrite poisoning. You need dto do a 35% water change immediately using a dechlorinator. The water needs to be tested at least once to twice a day until the water is cycled. I would take the 6 gallon tank back and get the correct size. You need an API master test kit. The water should be Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 20ppm or less and PH at 7.0. any higher can kill the fish. The cycling takes about 6 weeks. I suggest adding some Nitrifying bacteria to help the tank cycle and 1 teaspoon full of aquarium salt per gallon of water to help the fish. It acts as a tonic. This is some information on New Tank Syndrome: If the tank evels are high do a 25%-35 water change and only replace the amount of aquarium salt for the amount of water removed.