Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

We have a two year old hamster who has gotten fat - which

Customer Question

We have a two year old hamster who has gotten fat - which could be getting a different food with seeds, etc. Instead of pellets - but lately he seems lethargic and he also felt cold when I oicked him up with heavy breathing.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the two year old. What is the two year old's name?
Customer: Mister Whiskers : )
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mister?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ years and have special interest in Small exotics.

What type of bedding ate you using?

What diet are you feeding Kaytee, or another brand?

Do you feed any fresh foods?

Is Mister Whiskers a teddy bear or dwarf hamster?

Passing stool and urine?

Any problems with breathing?

Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Shredded paper bedding
All living things brand daily diet
No fresh foods
Teddy bear
No issues with stool or urine
I feel like he is breathing harder than normal
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

Thank-you. Hamsters general life span is about 2 years. Mr Whiskers is a senior hamster. At this age we see a lot of medical issue pop up. One is they are predsiposed to cancer, but also when you said about the weight, being fat and the body feeling cool, lethargic and harder breathing can indicate a Heart problem and he may be retaining fluids. If he is retaining fluids, then that can account for most of what you are seeing. I have to under these circumstances, recommend seeing a small animal vet who is familiar with exotics. These little ones are very stoic and hide illness since they are prey animals, so when they start showing signs of illness they should be seen asap.

Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. Thank you.
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

I wish I could give you a better idea of the exact issue, but at 2 years old we see a lot of issues. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan