Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have a seven year old English Bulldog who has a cold. She

Customer Question

I have a seven year old English Bulldog who has a cold. She has had three full days of classic antibiotic but in seeing no change and she's so stuffy when she's breathing. She has no temperature Marvin doing steam showers a couple of times a day. Should I be patient or is there more I can do to reduce the congestion?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the English bulldog's name?
Customer: Sweeney
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sweeney?
Customer: No she is otherwise healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, if she has a bacterial respiratory tract infection, then we do need to give the antibiotics a chance to get to a therapeutic level so that it can kill off any bacterial agents involved. This often takes a few days. That said, if she is very congested and steam isn't reducing her signs adequately, you may need to consider further supportive care.

First, if she is very congested, then its worth ringing her vet about a dog safe anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam ,Onsior, Rimadyl, etc). These will reduce nasal inflammation to open her airway and increased airflow as the antibiotics tackle the nasal discharge in the nose. As well, if she is struggling to breathe, her vet can also dispense bronchodilators to open her airways as well.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** treatments besides steam treating (which using a nebulizer or humidifier may be a better option for increasing steam concentration), you can use non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Little Noses, Ocean Mist) to help flush out nasal discharge and get her breathing easier. These can be used as needed and often we will use 2-3 drops per nostril at each treatment.

Overall, we do need to give the antibiotics time to do their job. Though if she is very congested, the above additional steps would be ideal for Sweeney to ease her breathing as she clears this infection.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )