Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

I recently got a guinea pig about 6 months ago age unknown.

Customer Question

i recently got a guinea pig about 6 months ago age unknown. He was completely fine yesterday but this morning he just wasnt himself, Not eating, my noise unless you pick him up. Always has his head tilted and his body barely moves.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the guinea pig's name?
Customer: Leonidas
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Leonidas?
Customer: He was given with a brother but he passed. His hair has changed from black to gray is it just old age
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would love to assist you.

When Guinea Pigs have a head tilt lt can be from an ear infection spreading to the middle ear and inner ear. This causes a Vestibular issues, Vertigo. This type of infection can cause the head tilt aka torticollis. THis is know as “wry neck”. It also causes the loss of equilibrium and nausea. In this case, I suggest a Vet visit with a Guinea Pig Vet. If the Piggies is not eating and drinking we will have to force feed. This is a list of Guinea Pig Vets: http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html

To force feed use Pedialyte and water 50/50 for fluids. For food you can grind the pellets into a fine power and mixing with the Pedialyte and water and make a slurry and syringe fed.

Joan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
with him laying on his side
Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

What you want to do is hold the Guinea pig and with the other hand syringe feed or if you have help. We have to keep food and fluids going in. Without food he can get a GI stasis and without fluids we are looking at dehydration. feed from the side of the mouth in small increments as not to aspirate the Guinea Pig. If you can get the Guinea pig into the Vet in the morning you can let it go with feeding tonight. If you feel the Guinea pig is in a critical situation, then a Vet in the ER can treat for you and give fluids and start medication.

Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

Hope all will be ok , with the Piggie.

Joan