Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My daughter's guinea pig jumped out of her arms and appears

Customer Question

My daughter's guinea pig jumped out of her arms and appears to have a broken rear leg, high up not where it is easy to splint. It seems to hurt when pressed, but is not slowing her down and she is eating ok. I've called around and none of the vets in my area will see a guinea pig with a broken leg. Is it ok to just let it heal if she can still walk on it and is otherwise behaving normally? There is no break in the skin.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I have to say that I am quite saddened that your local vets aren't willing to help. Even if they aren't specialists, they have a duty of care to keep her from suffering. And even if she is acting normally (remember as a prey species guinea pigs hide pain, else risk being a target for predation), fractures are painful for guinea pigs just as they are for us.

Therefore, at the very least, they should be dispensing guinea pig safe pain relief. As well, there is no reason why they cannot xray to confirm a fracture and make sure its not just a dislocation that can be replaced without surgery. Though if they won't help her, you would be best to make a trek to someone who will. Because while this could heal on its own in 6 weeks, if its not stabilized properly and she keeps walking on it, the fracture repair may actually cause more future problems for her (we can see over proliferation of bone, malunions where they never fuse, healing that just breaks down again, etc). So, in this case, I'd strongly advise checking for a guinea pig friendly vet via http://www.aemv.org/index.php/members/vet-locator . If you are struggling, then also check http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html or http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/ as these vets usually will see pocket pets as well.

At the end of the day, fractures in the guinea pig are approached the same way as they would be for any species. So, your local vets will know what to do and should at least be able to do the above basics for your wee ones. Otherwise, we'd really want to make the trip to a further afield guinea pig vet, so we can address this for her and give her the best chance of healing this properly and not suffering a life of trouble with a poorly healed leg that was deprived proper care.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.