Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My rabbit had a tumor on her belly that was visible and the

Customer Question

My rabbit had a tumor on her belly that was visible and the vet said the only way to rid her of it was to amputate her right hinde leg along with it. The hinde leg was aparently broken in the past but was never set right which may have instigated the emergence of the tumor. In any rate the surgery was recommended and I agreed. The rabbit died despite me being told that everything should go well because the rabbit, Loretta was feisty, healthy and had a good apetite.
What happened was with 10 minutes left from what was otherwise a perfect operation, while cutting the leg off the rabbit, Loretta kicked and the vet cut her artery. I know there is risk involved but this was negligence. The animal should have been under sufficient anesthesia but apparently was not maintained. Isn't this outright negligence which resulted in the death of my rabbit which from my understanding should have been a routine operation?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The proper manner in which to proceed is to speak with the surgeon directly and discuss your concerns. If you don't receive satisfaction you can contact peer review of the local veterinary association to which the surgeon belongs and have peer review arbitrate on both your and the vet's behalf. If you still don't receive satisfaction you can contact your state's board of veterinary examiners and file a complaint which then will be arbitrated and a decision handed down. Disclaimer: I was head of peer review for my local veterinary association. I can't arbitrate unless I hear from both of the parties involved.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you for real? I didn't identify the veternarian to you. No one's reputation is at stake. I just wanted your opinion regarding what she in fact told me. I am going to request a refund. Thanks.

You missed the important point that I can't give you an opinion without hearing from both sides. I'll facilitate your refund for you.