Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

We caught baby raccoons from an attic. two We caught 2 five

Customer Question

we caught baby raccoons from an attic. two We caught 2 five nights ago and 2 three nights ago. We are keeping them in a dog kennel and are trying to trap the mother so we can relocate them. They are eating dog food and drinking water, but will not urinate or defecate. We will set the trap again tonight to try and catch the mother, but I am worried about the babies. How long can they last without defecating? Thank you for any help.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the baby?
Customer: No. They seem to be healthy.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.

The Babies need to be stimulated to urinate every feeding. If not done the bladder can rupture as far as stool if not stimulated they will bloat and the stomach can twist. If you go to stimulate the babies, please wear latex or rubber gloves. Raccoons carry Raccoon round worms and should be reunited with the mother as soon as possible, or turned over to a wildlife rehabber to care for the babies, and when mom is caught she can be reunited at that time. It is very dangerous if these babies do not go soon.

Joan

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
after doing some internet checking, I would guess the age of these raccoons to be 8-10 weeks. The site says they should be peeing on their own by now. I am going to take them outside and remove the plastic liner from kennel to see if they will use the ground and go.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.

Good, they should go on their own. Make sure the have water available at all times, That will help with stools.

Please let me know how they do. If they do not go it can be problematic. Hoping they go for you and careful with stool.

Joan