Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

What are the signs that a 20 year old cat needs to e put

Customer Question

what are the signs that a 20 year old cat needs to e put down? She still is eating but her legs are giveing
out hard for her to move
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dwight Alleyne replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Was she diagnosed with a specific medical condition? How long has this been going on for?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
about 6 months
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no specific medical condition

Ok Sorry to hear about your cat. Thanks for the additional information. Usually the best way to determine when a cat needs to be put down is based on the quality of life. How you measure quality of life is by determining. What three favorite things that she likes to do during her life time that has become routine. If she has stopped doing those things then that may be a good indication that her quality of life is not doing well. If that is the case then she may need to be put down.