PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Our dog ate about 12 pieces of Orbit gum. She's a 13 year

Customer Question

Our dog ate about 12 pieces of Orbit gum. She's a 13 year old border collie mix and weighs about 30 pounds. She is dry heaving. Should we take her to the vet or try inducing vomiting by using hydrogen peroxide?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Daisy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: She has had a seizure before. It's been a while since then.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How long ago did she ingest this gum?
2) Do you still have the packaging?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1) my son found out about 30 minutes ago. He was not there and when he returned he found it. We don't know when she ate it.
2) She ate most of the packaging.

Orbitz contains an artificial sugar that is toxic to dogs and can kill them. I would absolutely skip any and all home treatment and head directly to the ER to be absolutely certain that Daisy is not harmed by this ingestion.

More info here: http://www.merrickvet.com/70723/6303.html

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you!

Head to the vet and let me know if you need any additional support this evening. I'll be on for the next few hours.