Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My new dog went after m this morning, many feathers on the

Customer Question

My new dog went after him this morning, many feathers on the ground. I cannot see ant injuries but he is puffed up with head tucked.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: The cockatiel is 5 years old and his name is Flash
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Flash?
Customer: no, just seems lethargic, don't know if from trauma
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Because it's impossible for me to assess the exent of injury from here, it would be prudent to have an avian vet (please see here: thoroughly examine Flash. His behavior might indicate stress, injury or both. If a full-thickness skin bite wound is found, a systemic antibiotic will be necessary. Even being mouthed can cause infection of the skin and require at least topical antimicrobial therapy. Until Flash can be attended to, please heat up his environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into his cage (not at night when he needs to sleep) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage which should be placed in a quiet and dimly lit room. If Flash appears weakened, remove his perches and place his food and water on the the bottom of his cage along with him.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?