PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I have a 6yrs old male aussie that is urinating blood today

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Australian shepherd
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes he's a dog
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ruger
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ruger?
Customer: He doesn't appear to be in any kind of pain or discomfort just peeing blood
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

Blood in a pet's urine indicates that they have a urinary tract infection. It could be just bacteria, could include crystals or could be as bad as large urinary stones that require surgical removal. Males are especially prone to major problems with UTI's with stones because they can block the urethra, keeping the pet from being able to urinate. For this reason, it's very important to have an examination and a urinalysis performed. Most of the time the UTI is bacterial and antibiotics clear the symptoms within a few days. If you have future problems with UTI's and crystals in the urine, your vet may talk to you about switching diets to prevent stone formation.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ruger. How is everything going?

Checking in. How are thins going?