Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

I have an older female guinea pig peeing blood : Ellie, we

Customer Question

I have an older female guinea pig peeing blood
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: Ellie, we are not sure of her age, the groomer who trims her nails she is appears to be an older guinea pig, I had a student in my school moving and they couldn't take her so I took her in about 9 months ago
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ellie?
Customer: No she has been a healthy happy guinea pig and we noticed last week her appetite wasn't as good as it has been and she seemed to lay around more and now tonight this started
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.

Is the Guinea pig straining to urinate?

What type of diet is she eating?

Does she make painful noises when urinating?

What type of bedding is she on?

Is there any discharge from the vulva?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She isn't straining. She doesn't make any noises. She has hay always available and eats Sunburst food mix. She has clean and cozy shredded paper bedding. I didn't see any discharge other than the blood.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is being real still in one corner of her cage. She definitely isn't being herself.
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

I know you want an easy fix for the guinea pig, but there quite a few things that can be causing the blood. A Uti would be the easiest to treat. Other issues include a Pyometra which is a uterine infection, bladder stones, Interstital Cystitis, and Cancer.

I know this does not sound good. We can try giving some Pure Cranberry juice diluted with water. This will help if this is a bacterial UTI. Bacterial does not thrive in an acidic environment. I do suggest she be seen at an Exotic Vet that is familiar with Guinea pigs. All these issue are hard on an older piggie.

Please let me know if you need clarification on this information.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay I am not sure she is going to make it through the night because she seems to be going down hill fast. I guess I will see come morning because I can't get a vet or juice this late at night
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

If you need an ER Vet I can find one for you with a State and zip code. Unfortunately, it sound worse than a UTI and I suspect a Pyometra to go down so fast, as it can cause sepsis.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Unfortunately with all of my daughter's unexpected sudden medical expenses, I can't afford to take her to an er vet or to have surgery done on her
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

I am so sorry, I wish there was an easy answer. I know Walmart is open all night for the Juice. I hope she makes it.