Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have 6 years old guinea pig. Two days ago she was active,

Customer Question

I have 6 years old guinea pig. Two days ago she was active, ate well. but yesterday it seems like she fell or hit and one of her forward and one back legs did not move normally. It was hard to step and she barely moved. But today she cant move at all. her eyes looks like she is crying. her body is shaken. She is hiding in her house, can't hold her head, and heavily breathing. Sometimes she got some convulsions. I have no vet around who would take care small animals.
Please help me. Is it her time to go?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Where the legs on the same side of her body?

Can she move her legs on her own at all?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not yet heard back from you but as I am very concerned about your lass, I do want to leave my thoughts in case you are struggling to reply.

The signs you are reporting do raise serious concerns severe spinal or brain issues (ie inflammation, bleeds, infection, tumors, etc) and if she has had a head trauma, this could be our culprit. Though we can also see progressive paresis of the limbs and tremors/seizures with toxicities, bacterial infections (brain based but some toxic secreting ones) and organ failure.

Now in regards ***** ***** question, this is a challenging situation. She will likely need aggressive and likely invasive supportive care (ie IV fluids, steroids, antibiotics, anti-seizure meds, pain relief, +/- feeding support) and her prognosis with the above is guarded even with treatment. Therefore, if that isn’t possible, we’d have to consider having her seen by your local ER vet (who has a duty of care to help her even if they do not regularly treat guinea pigs) so that she can be humanely put to sleep and stop her active suffering here.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was checking on her. I gave her a cucumber, since she does not want to drink water. She has a good appetite. trying to move,eats hay. but I notice that one of her forward legs is swollen, and I believe at the same side her back leg is in the same shape.
I could not check her gum , but her breath rate in 70-72 per minute
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

No worries,

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't due to your not being able to reply. The cucumber is fine to use as a sneaky way to get fluids into her. Lettuce, apple, and most of our veggies can also be used in this manner; though of course we need to monitor closely to ensure she doesn't develop diarrhea. And I would note that her breathing rate is within the normal range.

Still, I am worried about this progressive limb weakness. If we have swelling, that does make me concerned about trauma but with tremors, seizures, and progressive signs; this just really raises red flags of brain based issues. So, it is really worth ringing around the local vets since there is no reason they cannot try to help her in this serious circumstance (small animal vets do carry a lot of the same medications --the antibiotics, pain relief, anti-seizure medications, and fluids we'd use for her). Hopefully you can find a sympathetic one that will check her, at least try treatment or give her peace from her serious stage.

Best wishes for your wee one,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank You very much, I will try to find a good Vet nearby me
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Take care, my thoughts are with you both,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.
Hi Anya,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.