Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

My 13 month old male Syrian hamster originally had diahea

Customer Question

My 13 month old male Syrian hamster originally had diahea about a week ago foe almost a week. its been almost two days now he hasn't had a BM. He has had plenty of drinking water. gave him a piece of lettuce. hes continuing to eat, drink nd groom. is a bit more sluggish and less acrive as usual.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the Syrian hamster. What is the Syrian hamster's name?
Customer: Zen
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zen?
Customer: Up until these recent issues he's been very healthy.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.

Can you tell me what bedding you are using?

Diet you are feeding?

How did you treat the diarrhea?

Have you checked for buried stool?

How well is he eating?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Joan,
He usually uses some cedar wood shavings, since I thought this may irritate his bum after all that diarrhea he had I put Kleenex tissue in his bin. Ive been cleaning his habitat daily.
I treated diarrhea with no treats, his usual dry hamster mix diet (bird seeds, sumflower seeds, small cat food looking pieces) checked for stool, no signs of a bm. hes eating normally, grooming. a bit more sluggish than before. his abdomen seems to be enlarged.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have also been giving him a small amount of childrens pedilight in his drinking water to make sure hes stayed hydrated.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Joan, are you still there?
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

Thank-you! Never use cedar or pine. They are both toxic to small rodents. They have oils which are irritans as well as they give off fumes which can cause respiratory issues. Yesterday's news is the best bedding available. Diarrhea is generally caused by intestinal or stomach blockage. and Constipation is caused by lack of water in his diet. So we have two possible issues. The causes of both of these can be Intestinal blockage (ie., accidental ingestion of bedding material) Worm infestation (roundworms, tapeworms) Intussusception, which can be caused by intestinal inflammation, poor diet and

Liver disease.

I would start the hamster on more fluids which means a 50/50 Pedialyte and water mixture via syringe. I would get soem Critical care for Herbivores tomorrow for emergency feeding. I would also like to see you get soemprobiotic Benebac for the gut flora.

I suspect that your Hamster may have ingested some of the wood bedding, which can cause all the signs you have been seeing. I highly suggest an Exotic Vet visit for your little one to make sure he gets the care he needs.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
where can I find the gut flora product?
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

Most pet shops carry the Probiotic called BeneBac. It comes in serveral different forms including an easy to feed Gel. This will help with digestion. The critical contains fiber and may also help to clear a blockage. When I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars so I can be compensated by the site.