PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

After a thorough physical examination, our vet has diagnosed

Customer Question

After a thorough physical examination, our vet has diagnosed a possible partial slipped disc in our six year old ***** ***** cross. She was taken to the vet within two hours of the symptoms, and has been given a painkilling injection. She is to have nothing to eat after 6.00 p.m. and has to be taken back in the morning for an xray.
She hasn't lost the use of her limbs (she's walking OK) or bladder.although she's sleepy because of the painkiller.
If it comes to it, we can afford surgery, but are distraught at the thought of losing her.
As a generalisation, what are the chances of her recovery please.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hi Anna. It sounds like your girl has a condition known as IVDD or intervertebral disk disease. Some dogs improve greatly on their own and others require surgery. Because you've acted so quickly, she may recover quite well.

Here is some additional literature on the condition and potentials for treatment and surgery:

Slipped disk and muscle spasms (typically the more mild end of IVDD):

Non-Surgical IVDD options:

IVDD surgical options:

In depth discussion on IVDD with pictures:

Wheel chairs:

More wheel chairs:

In some cases, without surgery, dogs may not gain their limb usage back IF they have lost the ability to use them...but this does not mean that they won't be comfortable, either. Luckily, some dogs will regain or keep their ability to control their urine and fecal deposits so chairs like this can be used easily with or without a diaper so that dogs can get mobility back if they still have difficulty walking long distances with their rear legs.

At this point, I would not be overly concerned about her not healing but there's a great amount of information available there to consider the options. With surgery, I've seen that the majority of dogs return to an almost normal (if not entirely normal) life and I hope that turns out to be the case for Tiffie.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checkin in. How is Tiffie doing?