How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Pet
Satisfied Customers: 24473
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Pet Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Nothing except she ate a dark chocolate bar with hazelnuts :

Customer Question

Nothing except she ate a dark chocolate bar with hazelnuts
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A 14 year old parson terrier, she is 18 pounds
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the terrier will be able to digest that. What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Samantha
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Samantha?
Customer: No, she eats a lot of bad things, she is kind of a scamp. But not chocolate, I know that's bad for her.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

An 18 lb Samantha would need to ingest 6 ounces of pure dark chocolate to become intoxicated by the theobromine in that chocolate which can cause vomiting, agitation, and tremors if ingested in sufficient quantity. Hazelnuts are non-toxic. Samantha might experience transient gastrointestinal distress as evidenced by inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea from ingesting such an unusual food but she wasn't intoxicated unless that dark chocolate bar weighed 6 ounces or more.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.