PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

About 1/2 of gerbils tail is missing what can I do to help

Customer Question

About 1/2 of gerbils tail is missing what can I do to help her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the gerbil's name and age?
Customer: Moon and about 4- 5 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Moon?
Customer: She seems OK
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Do you have a picture of her tail?
2) Is this is a clean injury or is there bone exposed?
3) Does she live alone or with others?
4) Any history of injury or self-mutilation?
5) Have you located the other half of the tail?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Bone is exposed
Lives alone
No history
Yes I removed it from the tank

If the bone is exposed, it sounds like this may have been some type of degloving injury. There's not much that can safely be done at home. I would recommend taking her to see a pocket pet vet that can examine her, sedate her, trim the bone back, close the skin over the end of the remaining portion of her tail and give her medication to prevention infection and discomfort. Until you're able to have her seen, I would move her to a hospital cage with a towel as bedding and only a food and water supply. This will prevent bedding from sticking to the bone, help prevent infection and further injury.

If you need help finding a vet that can see her, please reply with your city, state and zip code.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in. How is Moon doing today?