Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  Registered General Practioner

I have a pot belly pig with hair loss and very dry cracking

Customer Question

I have a pot belly pig with hair loss and very dry cracking skin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the pig's name and age?
Customer: Penelope and she will be 2 in November
JA: How old is Penelope?
Customer: 18 months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Penelope?
Customer: No she's been spayed. She weighs about 150lbs and eats Mazuri mini pig food with fruits and veggies
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 5 months ago.

Hi there. My name is***** to hear that Penelope is have skin issues. I will do my best to help with your question. Are you able to attach a photo of her affected skin, so I can get a better understanding of what is going on? What are the areas of skin that are affected?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's her back from back of the neck to her tail
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She blew her hair an now her skin seems very thin and almost bloody like. There are pink spots. I used coconut oil on her but that's all. She does lay and play in the Sunday during the day. She has a kiddie pool, mud hole and sand pit. She comes in at night. She has an air conditioned shed. She plays with our 2 Great Danes.
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

I'm not sure if these products are available where you are (or if they have different names) but my favourite products for dry, flaky skin are "Alpha Kerri Oil" and "QV Oil". They are products for humans and should be easy to buy off-the-shelf in pharmacies and health care shops. I tend to swap the normal pump lid for a spray bottle lid (make sure the previous stuff that the pump was used for is thoroughly rinsed away first).

​Can also try to supplement the diet with vitamin E or coconut oil as you have been doing, but I understand that the cost can add up quickly for a large animal like Penelope. Don't give the vitamin E at the same time as the coconut oil. Otherwise the oil can absorb the vitamin E and carry it right through the gut and turn it into a huge waste of money.

Air conditioning can be quite drying on skin (and eyes), even for us humans. It might be worth having a look to see if you can promote cooling using another method (increasing ventilation, use of fans, extra water in wallow etc.), and reducing the amount of air conditioning time/exposure.