PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My son's hamster has a black spot in his ear. Kinda looks

Customer Question

My son's hamster has a black spot in his ear. Kinda looks like a piece of food is stuck. What should we do?
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Do you have a clear photo showing what you're seeing?
2) When did this begin?
3) Is he painful?
4) How far into the ear canal is this located?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is the best photo we could get. Within the past seven days. It does not seem painful, will not allow us to touch his ear. Just on the outside of the canal.

It's difficult for me to determine what you're seeing from this picture, so we will go off of the presumption that he's managed to lodge something there.

Probably the easiest approach here will be to have him examined by a veterinarian, a light amount of gas anesthesia given (basically enough to make him loopy) and the food particle removed. With time, it may make its way deeper into the ear canal, so it will be important to address this sooner than later, ideally.

If you need help finding a veterinarian that is pocket-pet-savvy, please post back your city, state and zip code and I'll be happy to look into this for you.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Winsted mn 55395

Thank you. I found a clinic 30 minutes from your zip code: http://www.excelsioranimalhospital.com

Hi Jacob,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chunckers. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in to see how Chunckers is doing.