Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My chinchilla ate half piece of gum last night. What can I

Customer Question

Hi. My chinchilla ate half piece of gum last night. What can I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your chinchilla will be able to digest that. What is the chinchilla's name and age?
Customer: She's one and half years old.
JA: What is the chinchilla's name?
Customer: Chinchi
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chinchy?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Did the gum have Xylitol in it?How is Chinchi just now? Any appetite loss or belly pain?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It doesn't have xylitol. And she looks fine now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,That is great news, since xylitol can be very dangerous for our pets. In that case and since she is eating,we'd not be worried here. Her stomach acid will break the gum down without issue. The only treatment we'd need to consider is that if it was a large piece would be to increase her dietary fiber intake (ie offer more hay +/- use an OTC fiber based paste supplement or canned pumpkin) to just help push this through the gut and avoid any blockage risks. But otherwise this is a low risk situation and we'd not be worried if Chinchi is otherwise well at this stage.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.