Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My 8 year old female rabbit is dragging her right hind leg.

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes, and she is pretty clean on her bottom.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the rabbit's name?
Customer: no. signs of any wounds,
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the rabbit?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** She is eating well. Seems ok otherwise.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

This is something we see on occasion in rabbits. It's typically due to some type of previous trauma. Rabbits are so strong in the hind limbs that they can actually fracture their own spine just by kicking hard enough. This causes weakness or paralysis to one or both rear legs.

The diagnosis is made with imaging of the back (x-rays, CT or MRI). If there is full paralysis, we unfortunately will end up euthanizing the majority of rabbits. If it's just one leg, we may consider surgery to see if the stabilization helps or amputation of the one limb.

No matter what, x-rays and pain meds are indicated now until further decisions can be made.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.