Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

He swilled some plastic from a ball a week ago and he

Customer Question

He swilled some plastic from a ball a week ago and he vomited some up yesterday morning he had passed some in stool a few days ago he has been out twice during last night to potty
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Bull terrier
JA: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the bull terrier eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of
JA: What is the bull terrier's name and age?
Customer: JB is 17 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Job?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Did you mean he brought up some plastic from this ball in that vomit? Any sharp edges? Was the vomit brown like coffee grounds?Can he keep water down?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly,does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Is the stool normal or black? Is he straining without passing much?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
for you vomited it up it's been dark so I haven't been able to see about his stool his belly as it seemed tender but he's back in his cage asleep right now up until now his stool Has been fine. There were some sharp edges on the plastic
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you,Now when our dogs eat these kinds of items, we do always need to tread with care.Since he did just vomit back a piece of this, we know that at least this piece didn't pass into the intestines and there is possibly more stuck in the stomach. With that in mind, we have a few options. We can consider having his local vet check for any other pieces +/- use an endoscope (a scope with a camera) to remove as much of this as possible. That way we can reduce the potential for harm (ie gut trauma, esophageal laceration if vomits more up, gut blockage) from any other lingering pieces. Otherwise, if that is not an option and since he is at least comfortable enough to sleep just now, we can start some supportive care while monitoring him. In regards ***** ***** options, once he is awake and since we have a possible sharp edged item in the gut, we can take a few steps to reduce any damage caused by this moving through the GI. We can start by feeding him a "Vaseline sandwich." This will sound odd but the aim here is that the bread will coat the any sharp bits and bulk up what is being passed in the gut. And that Vaseline will act as a lubricant to aid sliding this through the GI with hopefully minimal damage. To make this, you just want to spread Vaseline (or cat hairball treatment) over a piece of whole wheat bread, slather it on, and cover this with a second slice. This can then be hand fed to in pieces. Afterwards, we will want to start JB on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will further encourage any material to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on him. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this; especially if we have had a vomit with plastic at this point. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on him. If we can get the rest to pass without issue over the next 48 hours, we are happy. Of course, if we did see any of those worrying signs, we’d be concerned and need him seen urgently to rule out those potential complications. All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )