Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My guinea pig chewed a small piece of plastic off a plastic

Customer Question

My guinea pig chewed a small piece of plastic off a plastic bowl. Will she be okay?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long ago did she eat this?How large and any sharp edges?How is she just now? Any appetite loss, straining to pass stool, or belly pain?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again, I have not heard back from you but wanted to leave my thoughts since I am quite concerned about your lass. This is because when our pets eat these kinds of items, we do always need to tread with care.If she just had this and since plastic material tends to be quite rigid and sharp (therefore a high risk of causing gut damage and blockage), I have to say that the best option here would be to have her seen by the local ER vet urgently so that they can use an endoscope (a scope with a camera) to remove as much of this as possible. That way we can reduce the potential for harm here.Otherwise, if that is not an option, we can start some supportive care while monitoring her. In regards ***** ***** options, to start, since we have a sharp edged item in the gut, we can take a few steps to reduce any damage caused by this moving through the GI. To do so, I would suggest feeding her a "Vaseline sandwich." To make this, you just want to spread Vaseline (or cat hairball treatment) over a piece of whole wheat bread, slather it on, and fold it in half. This can then be hand fed to her in pieces. I know it will sound odd but the aim here is that the bread will coat the any sharp bits and bulk up what is being passed in the gut. In the case of the Vaseline, this will act as a lubricant to aid sliding this through the GI with hopefully minimal damage. Afterwards, we will want to start her on small meals of high fiber foods. So, we want her eating her hay but we can also give her canned pumpkin +/- mixed into veggie baby food. We do want to make sure she keeps eating (since any appetite loss could risk gut stasis too) with these. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help the plastic slip through.While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on her. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on her stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require her to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. So, in her case, I do have to note that it’d be ideal to have her seen now and have this removed from her stomach to prevent any risk. Otherwise, you can use the above supportive care while keeping a very close eye on her. If she passes it safely, we are happy. Though if she cannot or has any of the above signs, we’d need her seen urgently to xray and possibly surgically remove this for her. All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )