Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

JA: . How can we help? Customer: I have a rabbit that eating

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I have a rabbit that eating well and is still active but since of late shes been laying down more often-outstretched and panting
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the rabbit. What is the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: Bon Bon is 2 months
JA: What is the rabbit's name?
Customer: Bon Bon
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the rabbit?
Customer: ohh she sneezes every now and then. Like a series of three or more
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: How long has she had these signs?Are her gums pink or pale/white?Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?Does she sound congested? Any nasal discharge?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Dr. B,
She has been like this for a little over a week.
According to your directions her heartrate is 78. Her gums appears to be pink. I've been told by the kids she had a bit of nasal discharge yesterday and there is sneezing taking place.She eats quite well; treats, hay and veggies. She deficates and urinates regularly and its more so on the dry side.
She hops around a few times per day exploring the room and sniffing out things.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello again,That would be her breathing rate, which is still concerning since it is higher then we'd like (30-60bpm is normal) at rest and suggests some respiratory compromise. Thankfully, she has pink gums, since paling would tell us that she wasn't getting enough oxygen with this elevated rate and would be a sign of an emergency. Of course, if she becomes fatigued from breathing faster, then we could see decompensation would also need to be seen to urgently. Otherwise, since she has had some sneezing and yellow nasal discharge this tells us that we have a bacterial upper airway infection likely with a degree of lung involvement. Now since we have those clearly bacterial signs, I do have to note that it'd be ideal to have her seen by her vet once they are open for a check and rabbit safe antibiotics (especially if this has lingered for a week without her immune system clearing it). That way we can nip this in the bud and ease her breathing for her.In the meantime, as long as she isn't in distress and her gums are pink, there are supportive care measures we can start for her here. To start, if she is sneezing and congested you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting her. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier, but often they don’t like things held up to their faces. That said, you can alternatively make a little ‘steam tent' with her in a pet carrier, the nebulizer next to it, and both covered with a thin bed sheet.If she is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, you can use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. As well, we can also use non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Ocean Mist or Little Noses) to gently flush the nose. To do so, we would need to carefully wrap her in a towel like a little burrito and tilt her head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. They hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril. Of course, since rabbits can kick out and hurt themselves when startled, this needs to be done with her secure in the towel (perhaps one person holding, an other giving the drops) or we'd need to skip this if you have any worries. Overalls, this sounds like a bacterial airway infection and sounds severe enough that it is impacting her breathing with this elevated rate, stretching and panting. So, if she is doing that quite a bit, I would advise it best to have her seen urgently. Otherwise, we can use the above until her vet is open to check her and start antibiotics. If you don’t already have a rabbit vet, and wish to find one near you, by checking @ http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/ Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )