August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Own Animal Care/Rescue Org
Experience:  Dogs, Cats, Critters; Animal Care author; Behavior & Nutrition.;Cert. Avian & Opossum Specialist;

I think my parrot is in shock I don't know what to do. He flew

Customer Question

I think my parrot is in shock I don't know what to do. He flew into the dog and the dog reacted badly. No bleeding, he didn't Chrirp when it happened he is back in his cage on the perch but he is breathing heavy and he is totally fine with me touching him which is not normal for him. I don't know what to do I'm afraid he will die from shock
Category: Pet
Expert:  August Abbott, CAS replied 5 months ago.
Do this first: Keep the lights low where the bird is, or cover three sides and top of cage, leaving the front uncovered, but with the rest covered he should feel safer Keep all noise levels 'off' or very low. He needs time to calm down and this should do it ----- Make sure he has water, food and as hard as it is, leave him alone, but monitor him quietly IF there is any injury on this bird you have to find an emergency clinic that knows how to manage small birds. A bacteria in the dog's saliva/mouth may quickly over power the bird and there is nothing anyone can do for them at home. I'll be on a little longer - so please let me know how it's going
Just in case he's not leveling off and calming, you might need advanced care, a sort of 'emergency room' Use a thick, clean sock and fill it ¾ with plain, raw white rice. Knot the end and microwave it for about 1 ½ minutes. Shake it afterwards to distribute the heat and be sure it's not too hot. Tuck this in just under the cloths. --- A heating pad under the box is also helpful, set on low. This is one of the few times I’d ever use both heat sources if necessary to maintain incubation temp (90-105 degrees). --- If ever using an electric source for heating anything in anyway, please be vigilant and constantly double checking carefully.--- Gently drape a light cover over this box to further help hold heat in and keep light low. --- Monitor him every hour or two - again provide food and water - and if any wounds are seen please do not delay urgent care If he worsens - get to a bird vet first thing in a.m. Keep in mind that even if he seems to be recovering, birds are masters as 'masking' (faking it). Continue to keep the environment calm, dim, quiet and warm. Watch his droppings to be sure he's eating (if he stops eating it's an 'urgent care' symptom) and if he stops perching, preferring the bottom of cage - that's an urgent care symptom as well.
Expert:  Cher replied 5 months ago.
Hello, and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist with your question. Here is the address and hours for the Kenner, LA Precheck Enrollment office: ID: 8240IdentoGO2544 Williams BlvdSte CKenner, LA###-##-####Hours:Monday - Friday: 08:00 AM - 05:00 PMSaturday: 08:00 AM - 12:00 PM & 01:00 PM - 05:00 PMNote: The enrollment center is located beside CADA insurance.-------~All enrollment centers will be closed on Memorial Day, Monday, May 30, 2016, unless otherwise indicated.~-------Schedule an appointment online or by calling(###) ###-####weekdays, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET. Walk-ins are welcome but appointments take priority.----------Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue. Warmest regards,Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 5 months ago.
I'm so sorry--Please disregard the above answer, unrelated to your bird question and only consider S. August Abbott's answer about your bird. There is a glitch in the system, which is posting answers from other experts in different categories to the wrong questions. I'm so sorry for any inconvenience. Best regards,Cher
Do you need anything further? How is your companion doing? If you would please rate our encounter here we can close it; however, keep in mind that you can follow up whenever you need to. You have the power to re open this when you decide