Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have a very small rabbit. It was orphaned. We found it

Customer Question

I have a very small rabbit. It was orphaned. We found it a week ago and its eyes have been open the entire time. He takes a couple of eyedroppers of food every 3 to 4 hours. I haven't seen any evidence of poop. Just wondering if I need to do something different
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: What are you feeding?How much (ml) are you giving per meal?Does its belly look distended, hard, or sore for this little one?Any straining to pass stool?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He isn't straining doesn't appear distended. I did actually see some small poop in his cage since I posted question. He is small but we've had him a week and he appears to be growing. He takes about 3 eye droppers full of kitten formula every. 3 to 4 hours
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you,Now I am glad to hear that you are using kitten formula and that he is putting on weight. That is a positive testament to your care thus far. In regards ***** ***** lack of stool, if he isn't straining or distended with a tender belly, we'd not be panicked here. Those would be our red flag warning signs of constipation from the feedings. In any case, if we do feel he isn't passing stool as often as he should, we can gently influence this.First, since we often see fecal issues from replacers being too dense, watering these down a wee bit or adding a dose of electrolyte solution (ie Pedialyte) can counter that. As well, we can add a small dose of cat hairball treatment into the formula. This is a mild GI lubricant and can just help ease stool through the gut and keep them regular. So, those would be our points of call if that recent stool was small or firm. And that we can just head off any constipation risk for this little one. Please take care and keep up the good work,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hi Tammy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.