Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

My beta fish is sinking to the bottom and not moving much,

Customer Question

my beta fish is sinking to the bottom and not moving much, just laying on his side
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the fish. What is the fish's name and age?
Customer: Hopal and we have had her a year and eight months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hoopla?
Customer: She was healthy and swimming around and this happened immediately after I changed her water
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and a Fish keeper for over 40 years.What size tank is he in?Have you checked the water Parameters?What type of test kit do you use?Did you treat the water?Did you do a 100% water change?Joan
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did a 100% water change and put her in beta water. She is in a 2 gallon tank but I do a full water change every week.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
What you described is do to an Ammonia spike. We never suggest chanaging 100% of the water. The most we do is a 50% change to prevent New Tank syndrome which happened to you when the water change was done. The Nitrogen Cycle was started over again each time you do a water change. Right now you need to start daily Partial water changes of 25-35%. This will help remove the toxins in the water. You need to get an API Master Test Kit to check the water. The Ammonia needs to be 0, the Nitrites 0, the Nitrates 20 ppm or less and a PH of 7.0. This is very important to save the fish and to stop further problems. You will also need to add 1 teaspoon full of Aquarium salt per Gallon of water. the first time. After that only enough of the Salt to make up for what amount of water is removed and replaced. Teh salt is a tonic and will help the fish. This is some information on New Tank Syndrome: It is important to start the partial water changes asap. I would also use bottled spring water as it is better with the fish in this condition. This problem is caused by toxicity caused by the complete water change.Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?