Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

A friend is watcing my guinea pig aince yeaterday beacause

Customer Question

hi, a friend is watcing my guinea pig aince yeaterday beacause i'm out of town and ahe just told me that he hasn't pooped aince the last time she cleaned the cage, that' 5 hours ago. He ate his vegetables in the morning but he hasn't touched his pellets yet. What could be wrong; i'm very worried
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your guinea pig will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your guinea pig?
Customer: he's 2 months old, a baby
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I’d like to help with your concerns about your fellow’s lack of stool production, and lack of an appetite today.You are right to be concerned as a guinea pig that doesn’t eat well is in big trouble. Their gastrointestinal system needs to have food constantly moving through it or normal motility will be lost and there will be overgrowth of bad bacteria.If he is refusing to drink water as well that is very worrisome too as they can quickly become dehydrated. I suspect his lack of stool production is a direct result of him not eating and drinking normally, and a reflection of how sick he is.It isn’t possible for me to know what started all of this without physically examining him but possible causes include vitamin C deficiency, which leads to painful joints and poor mucous membrane health which can make eating and chewing painful, a respiratory infection, overgrown teeth or spurs on the teeth, especially the premolars and molars which can develop painful spurs over time that make eating painful (not likely at his young age), or metabolic diseases like kidney disease or diabetes (again less common at his age).In a young guinea pig I would be most concerned about vitamin C deficiency, or a respiratory infection.But my concern right now is with his gut. He needs to eat and he especially needs fiber to get his intestines moving properly. Make sure to have fresh timothy or mixed grass hay available to him at all times.Because he won’t eat on his own I highly recommend force feeding him. You can use a medicine syringe and feed him ground up pellets mixed with water or orange juice or vegetable baby foods (carrots squash and green beans seem to work best). If you can find it Oxbow critical care for guinea pigs is even better as it is a balanced diet that can be force fed. Oxbow critical care can be purchased through your veterinarian or some petstores may carry it. You will need to force feed every couple hours during the time he’s awake.I also recommend getting him some probiotics to replace the good bacteria. Nutramax company makes Proviable, which is a pretty good product. If you had another healthy guinea pig available you could make a slurry of his or her night droppings and sterile water. These droppings are rich in beneficial bacteria and trace elements and vitamins essential for good health.If it is cold where you are put him in a travel cage with lots of bedding to snuggle in or place a heating pad under part of his cage set on low to give him warmth. We don’t want him wasting too many calories just trying to keep warm.Then do your best to have him seen by a veterinarian that is familiar with guinea pigs. If there isn’t one close to you then call local veterinarians and ask about their experience with guinea pigs. Here is a link that will give you tons of information about guinea pigs:http://www.guinealynx.info/index.html Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pig. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****