Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I woke up and my bird was just lying in his cage…he seems very

Customer Question

I woke up and my bird was just lying in his cage…he seems very weak. Maybe dehydrated
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: PrettyBird….I think he's at least 17
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about PrettyBird…?
Customer: he won't eat or drink
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He has a lot of diarrhea in his cage
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with PrettyBird. You've described a critically ill bird with little chance of recovery. This is a patient who would need to be hospitalized by an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) and provided critical care which would involve an oxygen chamber, supplemental fluids given by needle, and presumptive antibiotics by needle. The best you can do at home is to remove all of his perches, place his food and water along with him on the bottom of the cage, heat his environment up to 85F, and avoid handling him lest the stress of doing so hastens his demise. I'm sorry to sound so discouraging; I wonder if he's still with you?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there anything specific that I can do to get him to eat or drink? Anything specific that I can feed him?
I believe that he's too ill to be appetent but you can certainly try offering hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat. What type of bird is he, please? 17 years of age is quite old for our small pet birds.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay, I will try that. Thanks. He is a cockatiel
Thank you. He's an elderly cockatiel! I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.