Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Before I went out to dinner tonight my 5 year old German Shepherd

Customer Question

Before I went out to dinner tonight my 5 year old German Shepherd was acting a little off while playing fetch (not as active as usual) but otherwise seemed fine. I came home 2 hours later and she can't put any weight on her hind right leg. There are no obvious signs of trauma and she seems healthy in other respects. I checked for symmetry with the other leg and everything seems the same. She has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia but was catching frisbees just yesterday. I have absolutely no idea what is going on.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I can't find anything.
JA: What is the German shepherd's name?
Customer: Lily
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lily?
Customer: I don't think so. She has never had health issues.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Is she holding it up completely or toe touching when she walks? 2) Is she on any medication for hip dysplasia?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is holding it up completely. She is on Dasuquin with MSM for hip Dysplasia. She weighs 62 pounds and is on the chewable tablets for dogs 60-120 lbs. Two tablets per day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping to speak with a vet. Are you a vet?
I am a nurse. I'll opt out and hopefully a veterinarian will be on at this hour. Best of luck with your pet.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Has swelling developed anywhere along Lily's right hind leg since you initially posted? Trauma is very difficult for me to assess in a long distance manner. Lily may have aggravated her osteoarthritic hip playing Frisbee, may have torn soft tissue such as her anterior cruciate ligament, or bruised, sprained or strained soft tissue. An envenomation by flying insect or spider needs to considered particularly if focal swelling were found. Unless she has remissed unaided, her vet will need to carefully palpate Lily's leg and hip and also consider myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) causing sciatica.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.