Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

My goldfish finds it hard to get to the bottom of the tank

Customer Question

Hi my goldfish finds it hard to get to the bottom of the tank
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your goldfish?
Customer: My goldfish is finding it hard to swim to the bottom of the tank and when she does get to the bottom of the tank she just pushes her self up without swimming
JA: Where does your goldfish seem to hurt?
Customer: Im not sure but she swims sometimes sideways
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: She used ti swim slow and now she swims really fast
JA: Is your goldfish eating normally?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is your goldfish having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: No
JA: OK. No obvious problems there. How is your goldfish behaving differently?
Customer: She doesnt usually swim very fast and now she does
JA: What is the goldfish's name and age?
Customer: Bella and she is 16 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: I got them one month ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Need answer now
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm sorry to hear that Bella is having this problem.It sounds like she is suffering from swim bladder disease. The swim bladder is an organ that enables the fish to properly orient itself in the water. When something goes wrong, the fish may float, swim upside down, or at an angle. It may have trouble getting to the top, or the reverse, problems with sinking. Poor water quality can be a factor, so be sure to test your water. If you find that you have any nitrites or ammonia at all, let me know and I'll tell you what to do. If the water is fine, there are a couple of things that may help Bella.Give her a couple of thawed out and peeled frozen peas. If the peas are too large, you can smash them between your fingers before putting them in. You should also remove one-third of the water in the tank, and replace it with fresh water at the right temperature and de-chlorinated. Then add one gram of aquarium salt per liter of water. Don't use table salt - it sometimes has toxic additives. Keep feeding nothing but the peas for a few days. Many goldfish are prone to swim bladder disorders because of their body shape. Even if it clears up, it is likely to return. If it does, you'll need to treat it again.If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope Bella will quickly reach a full recovery. Anna My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do u check the water
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
You need to get a test kit at a pet shop. They contain test tubes and chemicals that you add to water samples. Then you compare to a chart that is included in the kit. You'll get results in parts per million (ppm). Goldfish need to have ammonia and nitrites at zero. Nitrates are all right at up to 40 ppm.There are also paper strips available that you dip in the water. I can't recommend them because they are inaccurate.It's a good idea to test any aquarium's water once per week to catch any problems early. If you can't get a test kit today, go ahead and do the other things I gave you to try to help Bella.Let me know if you need anything else. I'm glad to help.