Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.
Experience:  18+ years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist

My 5 year old small breed rat terrier has been running with

Customer Question

My 5 year old small breed rat terrier has been running with me since she was a year and a half. She became quite the runner! She loves the outdoors and loves to pick up the speed with me... But in the last 4 to 5 weeks, she has suddenly slowed way down. To the point where we're mostly walking and only jogging for a few minutes at a time before she resists. Is she suddenly aging or could there be something else going on?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I have checked all of her feet. I even used pressure to make sure she didn't have sensitivity.
JA: What is the rat terrier's name?
Customer: Pia
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pia?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. Rat terriers are an energetic breed and generally are pretty long lived as well. However, there are many things that can have an affect on running such as pulled muscles, knee issues as well as heart and lung problems. With just that symptoms, there too many possibilities to really rule anything out. I would have to recommend you go ahead and her seen and get a complete checkup done. I'd do imaging and bloodwork. Imaging can rule out joint issues and even a disc problem in the back. Some conditions are degenerative so no injury is necessary for them to suddenly show up. You do not want to run her though until you have had her seen since heart issues can lead to sudden death. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . I do have to run out so it may be 30 minutes or so before I can respond. If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.