Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

I have a 1 1/2 yr old chinchilla. About 2 hours ago he started

Customer Question

I have a 1 1/2 yr old chinchilla. About 2 hours ago he started making a really strange, extremely loud squeaking sound and he cant stand up. he keeps falling on his side and looks like hes perhaps having a seizure
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the chinchilla's name?
Customer: Snugs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Snugs?
Customer: I'm holding him and he's shaking really bad and hes acting lethargic. hes also letting me snuggle him and wants to be held tight and close which is very strange for him
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there someone looking this over??? I paid the fee and have yet to get a response. My chinchilla has had about 4 shaking spells like a seizure and I thought he actually died since I sent this
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It appears to me that sweet Snugs experienced some form of trauma which could be head trauma or an injury to his back. This causes serious neurologic symptoms such as loss of function of his legs and falling over since he has lost nerve supply to some of these areas. Head trauma or injury could cause seizures and this will require immediate attention by your vet. I am sorry but there is no home remedy for this because prescription medications are required to get Snugs past this. For now, try to calm him like you are doing and get him to your vet as soon as possible. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****