Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

It has a runny bloody nose (Chinese dwarf hamster JA: IÂ'm

Customer Question

It has a runny bloody nose (Chinese dwarf hamster
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: Pepper we got it 2 month ago so probably 4
JA: What is the hamster's name?
Customer: Pepper
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pepper?
Customer: She is adorable 😀
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has she had a bloody nose?Does it look like pure blood or watered down blood?From one or both nostrils?Any sneezing, coughing, or lethargy?Any exposure to toxins or falls/injury?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
CleAr bloody nose one nostril
No falls
Or nothing deifferent
Do you want s picture
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She has been kind of coughing or sneezing
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** would be lovely as it would let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ieFlickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am trying to put pic
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,You have done great and I can see her. Let me just type my full reply and I will post it shortly.Dr. B.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** on Pepper’s signs, we do have a few concerns. First, while often alarming, a bit of blood in their nasal discharge it is often just due to the force associated with sneezing +/- nasal inflammation associated with an upper airway infection. So, if we can address the cause for these upper airway signs that will usually settle too.And I would note that upper airway infections are the most common cause for the signs you have reported with Pepper. That said, we do on occasion see these signs associated with fungal infections, nasal growths, tooth root overgrowth, and secondary to facial trauma or toxins. Though those last 2 are hopefully less likely for her.With this all in mind and with how delicate this species is, I would suggest having her seen once her vet is open. They can confirm our suspicions and dispense antibiotics +/- hamster safe anti-inflammatories to nip this in the bud. They can also rule out those other concerns for her.Though in the meantime to try to keep her comfortable, I would suggest taking her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear any of the snot congesting her. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier, but often they don’t like things held up to their faces. That said, you can alternatively make a little ‘steam tent’ with her in her cage, a humidifier or nebulizer, and a bed sheet over both. As well, if she has any lapse in eating, we can use veggie baby food with her pellets crushed in to help keep her eating.Overall, Pepper’s signs do raise a few concerns. Therefore, we’d want to be proactive and start supportive care now. Further to that, since they are such a delicate pet, we’d want to plan to have her checked so treatment can be dispensed to just settle this for her as quickly as possible.If you don’t already have an vet, you can find one near you at . If you are struggling, then also check or as these vets usually will see pocket pets as well. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you so much I reached out to you because the vets in my area and wanted to charge me a ridiculous amount I really appreciate it
Do you know if there's any holistic herbs or something that I can just buy so I can help her feel better
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.That is a shame that they do, since that would mean a lot of hamsters in the area won't be able to get the care they need. :(Though if you have a VCA or Banfield hospital near you, I would note that they do offer a free first consult offer (which would offset the costs and make it possible to obtain antibiotics to treat this). The vouchers for these can be found at: VCA ( and Banfield ( So, that could be an option for her.Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** treatment, I have to note that we don't really have many safe options for this species (the studies just haven't been done and their metabolism is very different to cats/dogs where the most work has been done). So, there isn't anything on that front we'd want to use for Pepper. All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.