PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My bulldog has had diarrhea few days now, she is taking

Customer Question

My bulldog has had diarrhea for a few days now, she is taking quite a while to eat her food - which isn't like her - and she is very lethargic.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your bulldog. What is the bulldog's name and age?
Customer: I think it is the Omega three tablets she is on to help with her allergies. But it coukld be the food - which she has been on for a month of her anti-histamines. But those she has been taking for months.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your bulldog?
Customer: Reese and she is four.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) When did you begin the Omega fatty acid tablets? 2) Any vomiting?3) Any history of a diet change, new treats, people food or new meds?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We've been doing the fatty acids for three weeks. We do two pills per day along with two antihistamines.There hasn't been any vomiting.The food is Arcana White Fish and she has been on it for over a month. As for other food, I don't believe she's gotten into anything. She only gets her food, peanut butter with her one pill and marshmallows with the fatty acid pill. Our vet recommended marshmallows over pill pockets because they are hypoallergenic supposedly.
Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 10-20 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.
Typically when giving omega fatty acids (OFA's), we see diarrhea start when the dog begins the regimen because of the added oil to the diet. That being said, there's no reason to believe that he couldn't have diarrhea from it a few weeks in. You've also chosen a great food for him, which I would expect to have caused diarrhea before now. Marshmallows are made from corn syrup, so I'm not sure how hypoallergenic one might consider them. It would really depend on how badly your pet reacted to corn (I only say this because I have a severe sensitivity to corn and could certainly not eat them without paying dearly for it). That said, they do tend to be popular with dogs so if you're not seeing problems, keep up with what is working. I usually recommend that people try a bland diet for a few days, but since his diet regimen is so strict I would be hesitant to change anything at all. Instead, I would talk to your vet about starting Metronidazole to help clear the diarrhea. If symptoms don't improve over time, I'd talk to your vet about some lab work to check for pancreatitis. Some dogs with added oils to their food and fat from peanut butter can have a pancreatic flare which can cause diarrhea. Most dogs don't feel great when they have pancreatitis, so if he otherwise feels good I don't know that I'd rush right into doing some blood work. If you'd like directions for a bland diet, let me know and I'll be happy to help further. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Checking in to see how Reese is feeling. Have you seen an improvement in the diarrhea?