Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

I have a 10 inch black koi with a softball sized stomach.

Customer Question

I have a 10 inch black koi with a softball sized stomach. It swims fine and eats but has been this way for about a month. In a 5000 gal pond and hard to catch, the other 20 seem fine but cannot take a chance of losing some of them. A few are close to 20 inches in size and beautiful. First, how do I catch it and then must it be destroyed?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: How long has it been abnormal?Does is have raised scales in the region of distension?Does it look thin over its spine?Can you take a photo of this fish? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.