Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My mouse is hunching over like he has a little hunchback,

Customer Question

My mouse is hunching over like he has a little hunchback, could he be constipated? He's still very active
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. When did your mouse last pass stool?Any straining or belly pain?How is his appetite? Any changes to his breathing?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Eating and breathing fine he did pass a bit of stool in his running wheel last night
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you,I am glad to hear that is all normal, but we do need to keep an eye if Wilfred is hunching. This can be a constipation sign but also could be related to belly pain if he's eaten something that is causing a blockage, a mass compressing his gut, or gut twist. Still at the moment since he is active, we can try to encourage regular fecal output. To do so, you can start by offering high fiber foods as these will help fecal regularity. Often we will give a small volume of canned pumpkin or veggie baby food. We can also see regular veggies (squash, carrots, etc) to help push anything caught through the gut. Otherwise, we can also try a small dose of a GI lubricant. Since mice are very sensitive, we'd can try a small dose of cat hairball treatment (ie Laxatone, Catalax). These can gently get things moving but not risk diarrhea as our stronger options could.Overall, we need to keep a close eye on this for Wilfred. Though at the moment, we can try the above to encourage normal gut function and hopefully counter this discomfort sign of hunching he is showing us.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
How is everything going for Wilfred?Dr. B.