Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog is throwing up it was brown and clear mucuos no blood

Customer Question

Hi my dog is throwing up it was brown and clear mucuos no blood tinged what can i do
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I fed her a new treat and she got some steak earlier and found something like bread outside
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zylia and she is 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zelia?
Customer: A lil pain whe touch but not to make her jump
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That is cool and you can call me(###) ###-####tamika
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
And now all she do is sit in her cage
Please accept the phone call request and I will be glad to call you back at once ... { All calls are monitored and go through our system } Regards, ***** *****
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you just gove me the answer don't want to spend alot on no results
Sure I can type out an answer for you, no problem, and then we can chat back and forth here ... Please give me ten minutes to type it up. Regards, ***** *****
Hello again Sorry to hear Zylia is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... Vomiting is common in the dog and most cases are not so serious however this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check her over without delay. That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog, these can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or somehow has acquired has a minor tummy bug of some kind. Here are some examples.1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.3. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a teaspoon twice a day is fine for a very small dog ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for giant breeds.Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Zylia deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What if she ate something
Hello again, Dogs often get gastroenteritis from eating odd things they find outside, but generally the sort of advice I have already given would apply in these cases as well. I know about the treat and the steak and the bread outside, is there anything else she could have got access to that you are aware of? Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We found a neckalce inher cage
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
And some play doh
A small amount of Play Doh should not do any great harm if ingested, do you think she swallowed any of the necklace? Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No it is still in tack
OK, it may be best just to observe you dog for present and perhaps try some of the simple home remedies I have outlined but if you see no improvement in 24 hours or note any deterioration in the meantime then you would be best to have her checked out by a local vet just to be on the safe side. Most cases of vomiting in dog are not so serious but you cannot be too careful. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Zylia's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how Zylia is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her vomiting episode ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.