Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

I have a pet rat with a huge absess. I did a soak in

Customer Question

Hello. I have a pet rat with a huge absess. I did a soak in Epson salt n warm water to help remove the scab so I could see what was going on. It looks very 'meaty' and is bleeding. I have clindamycin on hand and was looking up if it something I could use with her. I looks like I cant. She is licking it.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the rat?
Customer: Her cage mate was just put down due to huge tumors. I am thinking this one has the same.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in small animals and exotics.Can you post a picture of the area?Where is the abscess located?When it ruptured was there just on hole or two?Any drainage?Joan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hello. im here.
i will try to do a picture. The abscess in located lower body on tummy. I am not sure when it actually ruptured. I looks like a couple of days. Yes there is mostly blood drainage.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
I will be out for dinner for about an hour, itll about 8est. as soon as I get back will respond and see how we can help you Rat.Joan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I get an email address to send you the pictures?
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
This is how to post pictures:1.Click the paperclip icon2.Click the Browse icon3.Click the Browse button4.Select your file and click Open5.Click OK6.Click Insert7.Click Save Changes on this page To email use this address but may take a while to get pic:
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have them on my phone and I am on my lap top here, with no way to get them off my phone to here. lol
i will work in it while you at dinner.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i am sorry but i cant get the pictures to load. to be honest i don't think there is much we will be able to do. She has another tumor on her side. I will not let her suffer. I will have to put her down like we did with her "sister'. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
From your description it sounds like a ruptured scent gland abscess. You can try and treat it with some Betadine and warm water and flush the area several times a day. You can use Nesoporin as a topical treatment, but she will aslo need an Antibioic to facilitate the healing from the inside out. I hope that this information helps. I know rats and tumore go hand in hand and you do not want her to suffer. Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?