Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.
Experience:  18+ years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist

He has parvo. His sister died from it last week. He is about

Customer Question

He has parvo. His sister died from it last week. He is about 48 hours into the virus. I started giving him penicillin g procaine 300,000 and I am giving it intermuscually but I feel like I may not be giving enough. I started off giving him 3 ml per day and I as talking to the guy at the animal health store and he as telling me a friend of his as giving 5 ml 2 times daily. My dog is a 90 pound dog. I just want to make sure he doesn't get an infection.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Leroy
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: not really
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is a dog by the way.
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. The dosage stated on the following site says "Cats and dogs: Intramuscular, 20,000 to 40,000 Units per kg of body weight every twelve to twenty-four hours." 90 pounds would be 40.8233 kg. So it looks like a 90 pound dog could receive 816000 to(###) ###-####every 12 to 24 hours. Right now it sounds like you are on the lower end of the acceptable dosage range. Read more on the dosage and other safety information here: Tamiflu would have been a good choice to help prevent symptoms of parvo, but after the first 48 hours, it is not very effective. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm confused on the units thing. My antibiotic is 300000 units how to that translate to ml?
That usually indicates 300000 per ml which sounds like you have been giving about 900000 unit. The information is at the bottom of page 5 and top of page 6 on the document referenced in the previous response.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So 5 ml 2 times daily seems about right then?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
so 5ml twice daily sounds about right then?
Legally I can't tell you how much to give your dog but 5ml would be(###) ###-####which would be on the high end of the dosage range especially giving it twice a day. If this was my dog I'd probably do a mid range dosage if I was going to do twice a day.
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 5 months ago.
Just writing to find out if you found my answer helpful.